Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Almost Impressed

Sunday I had a difficult time staying asleep. I work nights, so I need to sleep during the day. Weekends are my long days, when I work 12-hour days (7 PM to 7 AM) Saturday and Sunday.

As a test I had set up a small alarm program on my Mac to see if it would go off as scheduled. I have to leave for work by 6:30 PM, so I set the alarm for 6, as a failsafe.

Sunday was the Fall Back day, so I made sure to set all of my clocks back 1 hour before I went to sleep Sunday morning. Windows XP set itself back. My Mac was turned off Saturday because I was not using it and so no need for it to draw power.

At 5 PM I heard a quiet noise. It was my Mac bringing itself to life! After a moment I thought, “It thinks it is 6 PM, since it hasn’t “fallen back” yet, so it is trying to wake me up!” And as I suspected, the alarm did not go off because the Mac correctly set itself back to 5 PM and then went back to sleep. I did not want to get up, so I was awake, but still in bed at 6 PM when the Mac once again came back to life. This time, for some reason, the monitor did not power on, but the rest of the computer did. At 6:10 PM I switched my mouse over to the Mac (I have a KVM switch to share the keyboard & mouse with my computers) and moved the mouse. The monitor came to life. The alarm program said it was 6:00 PM, then instantly switched to 6:10 PM and started beeping. I know that the alarm program has a function that one can select to bring the computer up out of sleep. I did not know that it would also bring the computer back up after it was shut off.

If only it would have started beeping at 6 PM I would have been very impressed.

No comments: