Friday, August 8, 2008

Second Life

I have been very active in Second Life for a few weeks now (maybe 6) and I've been having a great time. I have been DJing at various venues and meeting fantastic people.
I have made quite a few friends and it is really interesting in how much one opens up to another. I have told a few people things about myself, or aspects of my life, that I haven't told even my best friend in real life.
I have found that so far, almost all of my friends have been women. I think they are:
  • Easier to meet. It is quite normal to ask a woman to dance with you at a club. I have never walked up to a male avatar and asked him to dance with me. I have danced with males before. One time this guy was away from his keyboard (AFK) and his date left. So his avatar was just standing there, looking silly. So I joined him. We danced and he carried me in his arms. I was laughing so hard I almost hurt myself.
  • Easier to talk to. Within a couple of minutes I can start talking to a woman about things that really matter to her, what her expectations are in SL, and how she likes to have fun. Many guys that I have met have been rather superficial. I don't think it is because they can't hold an intelligent conversation or open up about their thoughts and feelings. I think it is because they are afraid to. Afraid to open up to another man. "Maybe people will think I'm gay," might be the thought going through their minds. So far I have not met or had sex with any person in SL in the real world, and don't have plans to do it any time soon. There are some dear friends that I love, and someday would like to meet them face to face and give them an actual hug, but not now.
  • Women are more outgoing with their feelings. I have met a few that are very reserved about letting you see who they really are on the inside, but not many. And if they let me talk to them for any period of time, they usually warm up when they realize that I am a loving, kind-hearted, and caring man.
I am finding that my capacity to love and care grows daily. I really care for my new friends and want the best for them. I care about their medical problems, their relationships, the hopes, dreams, fears. In short, I love them. Not in any kind of sexual way, but love them, one soul to the other.
Tonight I am DJing 11 PM to 1 AM Central time. I've been asked to DJ a country hoedown at 8, but I don't think I have any hoedown music. It has been so long since I've been to a hoedown that I don't know what to play. I've got an album of European, techno hoedown music (Rednex - Sex And Violins), but that is about it. I love most country music and can easily DJ country, but I'll need to get clarification on what they want regarding a hoedown. Plus, my late Friday night show is very special. I take time and thought into preparing what I am going to play. The thought of sitting at my desktop computer for 4 hours DJing doesn't sound nice. I have a bad back and after awhile it starts really hurting my back. Most of the time I use my IBM ThinkPad laptop wirelessly from my living room. It is not as powerful as my desktop, which is not powerful at all by today's standards, but it is portable. If I want to I can carry it around with me and even take it to the bathroom if I am watching something and don't want to pause it. It is very light and portable. It was one of my best purchasing decisions. I bought it on eBay and have not had one moment of trouble with it.
I've got to go. I think my Second Life is calling me.

No comments: